Terry N. Silverman practiced law in Gainesville since graduating from law school at the University of Florida in 1974.
In 1974, Mr. Silverman was hired by Eighth Circuit State Attorney Eugene T. Whitworth where he gained valuable courtroom experience as an Assistant State Attorney. The Governor of Florida appointed Mr. Whitworth to head the Second Statewide Grand Jury to investigate organized crime and Mr. Silverman was assigned as a Special Assistant Statewide Prosecutor, where he traveled throughout Florida advising the grand jury and law enforcement agencies in their investigations, including preparing indictments and applications to the Florida Supreme Court for search warrants and telephone wiretap orders.
In 1976, Mr. Silverman formed his own law firm concentrating on civil litigation and criminal defense in both State and Federal courts. He has extensive jury trial experience in both civil and criminal cases, with cases ranging from wrongful death to federal conspiracy charges. His practice has expanded to include mediation and he has mediated thousands of civil cases throughout North and Central Florida.
Mr. Silverman is admitted to practice law in Florida, Georgia, United States District Courts for the Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida, the United States Supreme Court, and Eleventh and Fifth Circuit Courts of Appeal. He has served on the Florida Bar Grievance Committee and Fee Arbitration Committee for the Eighth Judicial Circuit of Florida.
Mr. Silverman maintained an active litigation practice, including criminal defense, personal injury, wrongful death, and business litigation. He believes that a mediator who also litigated and tried cases has a greater understanding and appreciation for the issues that attorneys confront during his mediation conferences.
Experienced Mediator & Arbitrator
In addition to being a Florida Supreme Court Civil Certified Circuit and County Court Mediator, he has been a Florida Supreme Court Qualified Arbitrator since November 2003.
Mr. Silverman has served as a mediator in thousands of civil cases with the vast majority resulting in settlement. Those cases have consisted of complex multi-party disputes that include personal injury, wrongful death, commercial, contract, employment, insurance, real estate, construction, and probate cases.
- University of Florida, B.S. (1971)
- University of Florida, J.D. (1974)
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator
- Florida Supreme Court Certified County Court Mediator
- Florida Supreme Court Qualified Arbitrator
- Mediation (Circuit Civil)
- Mediation (Federal)
- Arbitration (Civil/Commercial)
- Federal Bar Association, Gainesville Chapter, Former Board Member
- James C. Adkins, Jr. American Inn of Court, Master
- Eighth Judicial Circuit Qualified Arbitrator
- Florida Circuit Court Civil Mediators Society
- Eighth Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee, Past member
- Eighth Judicial Circuit Fee Arbitration Committee, Past Member
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Eighth Judicial Circuit Bar Association
- Volusia County Bar Association